New Lab report outlines ways California could reach goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2045
ClimateWorks Foundation report, Getting to Neutral (or download the Executive Summary)
See also A New Carbon Economy Takes Shape
Serving the Nation
The Global Security Principal Directorate at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) applies multidisciplinary science and technology to anticipate, innovate, and deliver responsive solutions to complex global security needs.
Global Security supports all major missions at the Laboratory but executes the following:
- Energy and Homeland Security
- Nuclear Threat Reduction
- Forensic Science Center
See the Laboratory mission pages for more information.
The Global Security Principal Directorate at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) applies multidisciplinary science and technology to anticipate, innovate, and deliver responsive solutions to complex global security needs. This includes support of the U.S. government's efforts to:
- Advance our nation's security through the production, development, and deployment of diverse, secure, and sustainable energy resources and technology, while understanding and reducing their environmental impact.
- Develop technologies and expertise that significantly enhance the U.S. military's agility, survivability, and lethality.
- Provide analytic, operational, and science- and technology-related support to the intelligence community, other federal agencies, and state, local, and private-sector customers.
- Develop and deploy transformational technologies and expertise to secure the U.S. homeland, with a particular emphasis on catastrophic chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive threats.
- Serve as an important national resource for addressing nonproliferation challenges through innovative technical solutions.
LLNL is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL is a government-owned, contractor-operated Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC), and is currently managed by Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC.
Doing Business with LLNL
LLNL performs work for a wide range of government agencies through several contracting vehicles. We actively seek to partner with other organizations in order to meet our customers' needs. Companies are also encouraged to review the LLNL's technology transfer website.
Growing up in Lima, Peru, Livermore chemist Carlos Valdez excelled in art and soccer. But his first love was science.
“I liked it because there was always a rational explanation for everything, and a solution for every problem,” he says. “In sixth grade, my dad got me a few test tubes. I’d gather my friends from the block and after playing soccer on the streets, we’d mix things together, such as water and soy sauce! Then I’d throw in Alka Seltzer—just to see what happened.”